1. Students will get their registration form at a presentation during PE on February 28. The form will help you plan for the courses to request for the 2022-23 school year. Counselors will be at the presentation -- don't be afraid to ask them questions!
2. See the 2022-23 course listings so that you know which classes are available for you next year. They will be on the back of your registration form AND they can be found in the "Registration Links" section of this website.
3. Future 10th graders: You will be automatically placed in your 5 core classes (required for graduation) based on your current class placement, placement tests, and/or input from teachers and the learning directors. These classes are English, Math, Science, PE and World History. This means you will only need to choose your elective. Most students will get to have just ONE elective, unless a student decides to have Lunch or Zero Period (before school) PE, in which case the student would have TWO electives. Students that will have an impacted schedule next year could be eligible to take a class (usually World History) during Summer School, which will give them a chance to take the class that impacted their schedule (such as Band, AVID, Energy Academy classes) AND an additional elective.
4. Future 11th and 12th graders: You will be automatically placed in the 3 core classes (required for graduation) -- English, PE, and Social Science (US History for 11th graders, American Government/Economics for 12th graders). This means you will be able to choose at least three electives. This includes taking another math or science class, which are considered electives if you have already passed two years of math (including Math 1 and Math 2) and two years of science. Math placement will be based on your current math placement, placement tests, and/or input from teachers and the learning director. Students interested in taking 2-period ROP classes (whether it is here at Buchanan or at another Clovis Unified high school), should complete the ROP Application by Friday, February, 23 at 3:00 p.m. Students who applied for CART will know by early March whether or not they have been accepted for the 2022-23 school year. Whether a student gets into CART or ROP will help determine the OTHER classes that students should be placed in for next year.
5. Choose your electives in Student Connect. Students will have a chance to do this a few days BEFORE they come to the Counseling Center on their registration day in March. Current sophomores and juniors that applied for an ROP course will see the ROP course in their course requests IF they were chosen (students that do NOT see the ROP course listed means he/she was put on the wait list). Here are the dates that students will be able to do their course selections on Student Connect:
9th grade (entering 10th grade): February 28-March 2
10th grade (entering 11th grade): March 3-7
11th grade (entering 12th grade): March 3-7
6. Meet with your counselor during your English class. You will go over your course requests for next year. This will also be the time to register for summer school if you need to make up a class OR if you are going to take a class for original credit if you will have an impacted schedule next year. Here are the dates that students will come into the Counseling Center during their English class*:
9th grade (entering 10th grade): March 3-4
10th grade (entering 11th grade): March 8-9
11th grade (entering 12th grade): March 10-11
*11th graders that are currently in CART are scheduled to come into the Counseling Center March 14-18 (AM CART students will be called in during Periods 6 or 7; PM CART students will be called in during Periods 1-4) but counselors may call them in sooner than that if time allows.