Buchanan Academic Decathlon Adviser: Alyssa Lomier email@example.com
If you are Interested, have questions or would like more information See Ms. Lomier in Student Services.What is Academic Decathlon?
The California Academic Decathlon is a statewide non-profit organization that promotes an educational experience providing a format in which teams of nine high school students compete in academic events. All California public and private high schools are eligible to compete. The Academic Decathlon embodies a partnership of business, foundations and individuals in cooperation with the education community and county offices of education.
There are an estimated 500 high schools, approximately 13,000 students who participate annually in Academic Decathlon in California. The makeup of each of the nine member teams must include three A students, three B students, and three C or below students.
Academic Decathletes take 30 minute multiple choice tests in the subjects of Art, Economics, Music, Language and Literature, Mathematics, Science, and Social Science. In addition, each team member gives a planned 4 minute Speech and a 2 minute impromptu Speech, participates in a 7 minute Interview, and has 50 minutes to write an Expository Essay.
The Super Quiz Relay, the final event, is open to the public and features questions from subject matters including Art, Economics, Music, Language and Literature, Science, and Social Science.
The Academic Decathlon season involves 4 rounds of competition. The United States Academic Decathlon publishes the curriculum in the Spring. Round 1 is a non-scoring scrimmage typically held in November. Round 2 consists of regional competitions held on the first Saturday in February. The winners of Round 2 plus a limited number of invited teams then compete in Round 3 which is the State Championship held in mid-March in Sacramento. As a result of the State Championship, California sends the top two winners onto Round 4, the USAD Nationals held in late April.
Since national competition began in 1982, California has performed in a superior manner, winning 20 national titles and posting 12 second place finishes.
United States Academic Decathlon Curricular Topics for 2019–2020
The U.S. Academic Decathlon® is excited to announce that the overall curricular theme for 2019–2020 will be In Sickness and in Health: An Exploration of Illness and Wellness. Following is some general information on the topics in each of the subject areas.
• SCIENCE: The science topic will be an introduction to the biology of cancer.
• LITERATURE: The literature curriculum will include critical reading, one long work of literature, and selected shorter works. The long work of literature will be the 1818 version of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.
• ART: The art curriculum will include a section on art fundamentals and will largely focus on an exploration of illness and wellness in art.
• MUSIC: The music curriculum will introduce students to various musical works from across the centuries that will allow them to examine the role of mortality in Western art music.
• SOCIAL SCIENCE: The social science curriculum will introduce students to the history of healthcare.
• ECONOMICS: The economics curriculum will cover fundamental economic concepts, microeconomics, and macroeconomics and will also include a thematic section on health economics.
• MATHEMATICS: The mathematics curriculum will cover algebra and trigonometry.*