Honors / AP Classes
Why Take AP Courses?
AP is a rigorous academic program built on the commitment, passion, and hard work of students and educators from both secondary schools and higher education. Taking AP classes benefits students in a number of ways:
Favorably Impacts College Admission
- Students who take AP courses send a signal to colleges that they’re serious about their education and that they’re willing to challenge themselves with rigorous course work.
- 85% of selective colleges and universities report that a student’s AP experience favorably impacts admission decisions.
Offers Financial Benefits
- Students who take five years or more to graduate can spend $21,500 for each additional year in college, to cover tuition, fees, living expenses, transportation and other costs.
- Research shows that students who take AP courses and exams are much more likely than their peers to complete a college degree on time.
Builds Skills and Confidence
- Students learn essential time management and study skills needed for college and career success.
- Students dig deeper into subjects that interest them, and learn to tap their creativity and their problem-solving skills to address course challenges.
AP Courses offered at BHS:
Please see your counselor to sign up for an AP course.
- AP Biology - Andrew Austin
- AP Calculus AB - Deanna Certain
- AP Calculus BC - Lynn Pappe
- AP Chemistry - Venetia Collier
- AP Chinese Language - Lili Wong
- AP English Composition - Brook Constable, Kathleen Gleason, & Victory Pope
- AP English Literature - Donna Lutjens & Jonathan Slater
- AP Environmental Science - Doug Soderstrom
- AP German Language - Susan Carlock
- AP Human Geography - Maurine Taylor
- AP Macroeconomics - Kristen Heimerdinger
- AP Music Theory - Matthew Haltom
- AP Physics 1 & C - Paul Lake
- AP Psychology - Jennifer O'Meara
- AP Spanish Language - Nicholas Gonzalez
- AP Statistics - James Soares
- AP Studio Drawing - Jeff Nicols
- AP U.S. Government & Policy - Laura Riley
- AP US History - Chris Tessler
- AP World History - Michael Alvord & Maurine Taylor